Stopping use of all drugs and alcohol can be a scary prospect when they play a large role in a person’s life. To leave home at the same time and face the challenges and difficulties that inevitably come with the process without the support of friends or family may seem overwhelming to some. So is it safe to attempt to detox at home? And will it even work?
The Risk of At-Home Detox
The short answer to both questions is “no.” Very few people diagnosed with a drug and alcohol dependence will be able to navigate the cravings and physical withdrawal symptoms that characterize detox at home on their own. Some of the risks include:
- Relapse: Most will simply relapse in order to end the physical and mental discomfort.
- Overdose: A return to addiction is dangerous enough, but relapse during an attempted detox can be more deadly than use of drugs and alcohol at any other time. Why? Even during brief periods of abstinence, the body’s tolerance to a particular drug will recalibrate, requiring less of the substance to achieve a high. Thus, the “normal” dose from a few days before may be overwhelming to the user and cause an overdose that could be fatal.
- Medical emergencies: Without medical care, complications can develop for patients, especially if there are underlying medical issues. Some patients will experience anything from erratic behavior that makes them dangerous to themselves and others to stroke or heart attack to even death.
Benefits of Professional Detox Assistance
Comparatively, professional detox is far and away the safer and more effective choice. While most at-home detox attempts fail, everyone who chooses a professional drug rehab and stays for the duration of the program can break free from their physical dependence on drugs and alcohol. A detox program that is medically monitored will provide patients with:
- Initial physical and mental stabilization, if necessary
- Medical care in the event of complications
- Medication to ease discomfort and minimize cravings
- Medical monitoring to ensure that dosing is correct and the patient is stable throughout the process
- Ongoing monitoring to prevent relapse
Experience the Benefits of Professional Detox Today
At Palm Beach Detox, we offer comprehensive care and medical assistance to patients who are ready to stop using any combination of substances. Learn more about the benefits that you or your addicted loved one will experience here with us now. Call the phone number listed above today. We’re available to assist you and help you begin the detox process 24 hours a day, seven days a week.