When your loved one is living with a cocaine addiction, his first response to your concern that things are getting out of control may be to promise to immediately curb his drug use on his own. Unfortunately, when an active cocaine addiction is the root problem, it’s almost impossible to stop getting high without professional cocaine detox. A medical disorder, the issue is defined by withdrawal symptoms that can be extremely difficult to navigate without relapse – unless he has the support of medical and psychotherapeutic professionals to help him get through the rough spots and avoid relapse along the way.
Some of the benefits that your loved one will enjoy when he opts for professional cocaine detox include:
- Support to avoid relapse. Residential detox offers 24-hour support and assistance to ensure that your loved one has no access to illicit substances and can instead focus on stabilizing in recovery, both physically and emotionally, rather than succumbing to cravings.
- Medication, if necessary. For some, medication may be helpful in dealing with some of the discomfort caused by withdrawal symptoms. Additionally, if co-occurring mental health issues are a problem, then they may require medicated treatment and medical monitoring as well.
- Medical care, if necessary. Complications during cocaine detox are rare, but if there are underlying medical disorders that are going untreated then patients can get the care they need to stabilize physically before moving forward in treatment.
- Therapeutic support. Detox is an emotionally difficult process. While the focus is on physical stability, here at Palm Beach Detox, we augment treatment with other services according to the needs of the patient as outlined in his specialized treatment plan.
- Professional answers. It’s not uncommon to have questions during detox (e.g., What are the best nutritional options? Will exercise help decrease discomfort? When should I start therapy and other treatment options?), and the best people to answer those questions are our staff members here at Palm Beach Detox.
Don’t Take Risks
Choosing to avoid professional detox can mean that your loved one ultimately opens himself up to a number of risks, the most significant of which is relapse that leads to a return to full-blown cocaine addiction. Untreated cocaine dependence could translate into:
- Heart problems
- Heightened risk of cardiac arrest or stroke
- Nervous system ailments
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Respiratory issues
- Allergic reaction
Don’t take chances with your addicted family member’s recovery. Contact us at Palm Beach Detox today to help him begin his journey into freedom from addiction now.