If you or any of your loved ones struggle with a substance use disorder, it is time to get help. According to a recent report, over 150,000 Americans lost their lives in 2015 due to drug and alcohol misuse. These figures continue to rise due to the nation’s opioid crisis.
While qualified addiction treatment is available, there are also some programs in Florida that are less than reputable. By knowing which questions to ask and a little more about the Florida addiction treatment resources available, you can make sure that you get the help you need and deserve.
Florida’s Drug Rehab Industry Plagued by Fraud
While most rehab facilities are dedicated to helping patients, some are less than reputable. These facilities may take advantage of people that either have excellent insurance coverage or are eligible for other public health benefits.
An NBC News exclusive highlighted some of the fraud taking place in South Florida, where unscrupulous facilities brokered patients but offered little in the way of actual assistance to people who were struggling with a substance use disorder. The good news is that many of these facilities have been shut down and there are reputable and caring addiction treatment centers that offer the services you may need.
How to Spot a Questionable Florida Drug Rehab
When you are looking for help, it can be difficult to know where to turn. This is particularly the case when you see online ads with promises that give you hope. There is always hope for recovery, but it is vital that you avoid one of these dangerous treatment facilities. Some of the ways that you can spot a questionable operation include:
- Generic ads or websites that do not clearly tell you what specific Florida drug rehab the advertiser represents.
- Offers to pay for travel or waive insurance coverage. In some states, this is illegal.
- Offers of free rent in sober homes in exchange for attending a certain rehab.
- A treatment center that does not ask you questions about your history.
Questions to Ask the Rehab Staff and Administrators
Choosing an addiction treatment center is a big step, and no one should pressure you or attempt to financially coerce you into doing something that is not going to help your situation. When you speak with someone on the phone, have a list of questions to ask. A few that you might want to include are:
- What is your staff-to-patient ratio? (The lower the number, the better.)
- Does your facility have a medical director on staff?
- Are there licensed staffers on hand 24 hours a day?
- Is support offered after treatment, and what kind?
- Does your addiction treatment program consider the trauma background, medical history, gender identity and culture of its patients?
- Is the center in-network with my insurance and what out-of-pocket expenses can I expect?
A reputable Florida addiction treatment program will give you the care and support you need to begin your journey in recovery.
The Different Types of Florida Addiction Treatment Programs
The National Institute on Drug Abuse classifies addiction treatment programs into several different types. No matter what type of treatment you receive, they will typically begin with medically managed withdrawal or detox. This ensures that you are able to safely stop using substances as your body and mind adjusts. After this, the types of addiction treatment programs that you will find in Florida include:
- Long-term residential treatment. This is a treatment model in which you live at the facility for anywhere from 6 to 12 months. These are considered therapeutic communities that offer highly structured treatment and services.
- Short-term residential treatment. Many Florida residential care treatment facilities provide short-term inpatient care, lasting from one to three months. This is an effective form of treatment that can be followed up by outpatient care.
- Outpatient treatment. There are several different types of outpatient care, and these involve attending services at the rehab facility while living either at home or offsite.
- Drug counseling. Either group or individual drug counseling are options but are generally combined with other forms of treatment.
How to Choose the Right Rehab Program
The right rehab program for you will depend on a variety of factors. If you are not sure about your options or do not want to make this choice alone, a qualified addiction specialist can have a conversation with you about your circumstances and make a recommendation.
While not everyone needs to attend residential treatment, this is the standard for many because it is effective in helping patients make the transition through detox into a structured program. Being part of a therapeutic community helps to rewire the brain’s changed chemistry as you receive the support of staff who are trained in treating substance use disorders.
Other factors to consider when choosing a rehab program are the potential for co-occurring disorders. If you have another mental health issue such as depression, anxiety or bipolar disorder, receiving simultaneous treatment for co-occurring disorders while in a Florida drug rehab facility can be life-changing. The right facility will also provide aftercare services to better prepare you for the transition to living life free of harmful substances.
A Reputable Florida Drug Rehab to Suit Your Needs
Choosing the right drug rehab can be a challenge when you are presented with information from many different sources. The Orlando Recovery Center is an established Florida addiction treatment center that not only cares about your outcome but also wants to ensure that you are receiving the type of care that will suit your needs and circumstances.
Contact Orlando Recovery Center to speak with a compassionate and experienced addiction representative who can explain more about our services and provide you with different options for admissions.