My Treatment Checklist
Deciding to seek treatment for a substance use disorder is one of the most important — and often, most difficult — steps in recovery. Because the prospect of living at an inpatient rehab center can be daunting, ensuring you bring everything you’ll need during your time at Orlando Recovery Center can help you stay committed to your recovery. This guide can make preparing for treatment easier, and make sure you’re aware of what you can and cannot bring with you.
What Can I Bring With Me to Treatment?
Bringing essential items with you to treatment can help make your transition to inpatient living at Orlando Recovery Center as seamless as possible.
We recommend packing enough season-appropriate clothing to last nine days, including a jacket for chilly evenings. Comfortable pajamas are also essential. Recreational therapy is an important part of treatment at Orlando Recovery Center, so make sure to bring comfortable, modest activewear, athletic shoes and at least one bathing suit. For ladies, this bathing suit should be a one piece; for men: knee-length board shorts. You should also pack comfortable, closed-toed shoes.
To help clients stay focused on recovery, inappropriate clothing items — including short shorts, tank tops, yoga pants and clothing with drug-related or obscene words and images — are not permitted at the facility.
To help ensure the safety and security of staff and clients at Orlando Recovery Center, the majority of toiletry items brought to the facility must be new and unopened. Be sure to bring enough to last for 30 days.
Permitted and recommended toiletry items include:
- Blow dryer/styling tools
- Unopened, alcohol-free mouthwash and conditioner
- Unopened toothpaste
- Unopened lip balm
- Unopened facial wash and moisturizer
- Unopened shampoo and conditioner
- Unopened sunscreen
- Unopened lotion
- Unopened essential oils or fragrances
- Unopened feminine products
- Unopened makeup
- Unopened contact solution (if necessary)
Proper identification is essential for checking into Orlando Recovery Center. We recommend you bring:
- At least one piece of government-issued identification, such as a driver’s license or passport
- All travel documentation necessary for your arrival and departure from the facility
- Any medical records that the medical staff will need during treatment
- A list of family members and contact information
When it comes to bringing outside medications to Orlando Recovery Center, communication is key. Please tell the intake coordinator about any medications you’re taking before you travel to the facility. Make sure that any over-the-counter medications you bring are sealed and prepare to have these medications inspected upon your arrival. Any unauthorized or potentially dangerous medications and substances will be confiscated. If a medication you have is deemed clinically appropriate, it will be held by staff and administered as needed and deemed clinically appropriate during treatment.
Other Important Items
Additional items that you may need during treatment include:
- A form of payment (checkbook, debit card, credit card or cash) for shopping or other outings during certain levels of care
- Glasses and/or sunglasses
- Smoking or other products to last for the duration of treatment
Inpatient treatment at Orlando Recovery Center involves a full, daily schedule of individual and group therapy, informational classes and support group meetings, as well as time for recreation and reflection. As you progress through treatment, you will gradually gain more free time to decompress and unwind in healthy, ways. Some of the hobby items clients can bring include:
- Art supplies
Please note that any hobby items that could interfere with you or another resident’s recovery will not be permitted at the facility.
What Not to Bring
While client comfort is important to the staff at Orlando Recovery Center, safety is our primary concern. To help ensure that our facility is a space that fosters recovery and wellness, we do not permit certain items that could distract, endanger or violate the privacy of our clients. Items not allowed at Orlando Recovery Center include:
- Drugs and alcohol
- Drug or alcohol paraphernalia
- Cameras, handheld video or tape records, computers, gaming consoles, tablets or any device that can take pictures and connect to the internet
- Clothing depicting drugs, drug paraphernalia or explicit language or images
- Vaporizers (vapes) or electronic cigarettes
- Weapons, including pocket knives
- Pornographic material
- Products that contain alcohol, including hand sanitizer, mouthwash, nail polish, nail polish remover and some conditioners
- Any unopened toiletry product
- Aerosol products, including deodorant and hairspray
- Cleaning supplies
- Dental floss
- Opened or used toiletry products (shampoo, conditioner, face wash, lip balm, sunscreen, lotion and feminine products)
- Games, card decks and sporting equipment
If you have any additional questions about what to pack for treatment, reach out to us. Representatives with Orlando Recovery Center are available to clarify any confusion, provide assistance and help prepare you for treatment.